Steps to help get rid of blemishes at home:
- ALWAYS wash your face in the morning and before bed with a facial cleanser and a clean towel. Be sure to moisturize right after. If your skin thinks it is dry it will produce oil to moisturize.
- Keep your hands away from your face unless you are washing it. Hands are full of bacteria that cause acne.
- Wipe your cell phone clean every nite.
- You need a clean pillowcase every night; you can put 3-7 cases on and pull one off every morning to make it easier to remember.
- SHOWER in the Evening before bed or when you are inside for the night, this way your hair and face are clean on clean pillow cases. Your hair also holds dirt and oil.
If you see a blemish with a white head, remove right out of the shower with 2 Q Tips or apply a hot washcloth to the blemish before you try to remove it.
- SPORTS ACTIVITIES: If you can not get to a shower right after your practice or game just keep any organic/parabenfree/sulfate free cleansing wipes with you. Wipe sweat and dirt off your face on the way home. Then shower as soon as possible.
** It is okay to wash and moisturize more than 2x a day if needed! Especially in the warmer months.
- Girls: Avoid using too much make-up on your face. I know you want to cover blemishes, but you will always be covering something up if your skin doesn’t have a chance to heal and breathe. Also choose the right product that suits your skin type. Foundation clogs pores. Try tinted moisturizer, CC creams, and real mineral makeup and powder instead of foundation. You need a clean chemical free makeup line. We can talk options at your next appointment. Make sure to wash your makeup brushes once a week with your facial cleanser or sulfate free shampoo.
Let’s talk food!
What we put in our bodies can come out our skin. Your skin is your largest organ and you also have to take care of it from the inside out.
Increase your intake of water. To detoxify your body and skin from impurities drink 8-16 oz. as soon as you wake up in the morning on an empty stomach.
Also a well balanced diet containing lots of fruits, vegetables and fiber. People who eat more veggies have less acne because of their antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
Other foods that correct acne problems: fish oil, turmeric, ginger, green tea, nuts, dark purple and red berries, and dark green leafy vegetables.
Try probiotics. They help reduce inflammation in the gut that may be linked to acne.
You may have foods you are sensitive to: gluten, dairy, yeast, and eggs are common culprits.
STOP THE POP !!! Very bad for your skin ! Yes, even diet !
Diet is the worst !!!
Dairy… The reason that milk products cause acne is because milk contains hormones that “turn on” oil glands. The cows that give the milk are pregnant and milking most of their lives. These hormones are natural hormones that cows make during pregnancy; these hormones are produced continuously at high levels and are found in all cows’ milk.
Give almond, cashew or coconut milk a try… try no dairy for 7-10 days to see if it is a trigger for your type of acne. A food sensitivities test may be helpful.
Eat a low sugar diet. Sugar, liquid calories, artificial sweeteners, and flour products all drive up insulin and cause pimples.